Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Quarter this, a Quarter that

From all I have gathered about what life was like before Xashi became my horse I have come to the conclusion that she was at least shown lots of affection. If you ever meet her, you will know that she is extremely personable and very loveable (as long as you don't get on her back! lol) and she wants to be given affection. And for that I am glad. But not much else is known. Obviously, no formal training. And certainly not physically beatings or anything. But that's about it. Her previous owner "rescued" her in some mysterious fashion and brought her to Valley Chapel Farms and a year later I bought her.

I have no idea what her breeding is, not that it's so important. She is obviously a cross. I was told by her previous owner that she is a Quarter Horse cross. When you look at Xashi she is missing the big butt, the bull-dog chest of most modern Quarter Horses.  I had a fellow boarder who owns a Morgan or two say that my description of Xash's personality and short mane and fluffy forelock reminds her of her Morgans. So for a couple months I thought she COULD be Morgan, buuuuuuuuut then the farrier said something that sidetracked that thought.

She said, Xashi's hooves reminded her of the many Mustangs she had worked with over the years. Her hooves are square, strong and compact. They would never have to be shod unless I was doing some kind of extreme sport and used her for hard riding or jumping. She said if it were just based on the hooves, she would bet Xashi is part Mustang. At least her hooves are, lol. I was shocked and yet NOT at all shocked. One of the horses I was very interested in buying before Xashi was some kind of Mustang. So it would only be ironic that the horse that I bought with some unknown origin was actually the breed of horse I was looking for all along.

So because there is not much else to go on and I trust that she knows a little something about horse hooves, I agree with the farrier. Part Mustang and part Quarter horse (because the previous owner had to have something to go on to say she is), and finally part crazy horse. Pun intended.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great photo of her! And Jasper was way better today. Xashi could have been in the arena with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took this picture right after I bought her with the camera on my phone. It's one of my favorites! I so wanted to come out and ride! It's my baby's birthday so it was all about her today. Definitely looking forward to riding in the arena with you and Jasper. :)

    ReplyDelete